Friday, August 7th, 2020
- Try a change of scenery — without going outside. Staying home during the coronavirus pandemic has meant your view has not changed. Take in a view from Mumbai, India, where a steady rain drizzles in a park. Or from a balcony in Luneberg, Germany, where a family splashes in a pool. Or from an apartment in Sao Paulo, Brazil, with the sun setting over a construction site. Those are just some of the everyday vistas on window-swap.com.
- Marie’s Crisis Virtual Piano Bar The beloved West Village institution keeps the show tunes rolling merrily along every night of the week. Read all about it here. Join the Maries Group page on Facebook to watch from home. Tonight’s scheduled pianists are Alex Barylski (@Alexander-Barylski) and Adam Michael Tilford.
- The Met continues its immensely popular rollout of past performances, recorded in HD and viewable for free. A different archival production goes live at 7:30pm each night and usually remains online for the next 23 hours. Tonight’s selection is Anthony Minghella’s gorgeous staging of Puccini’s Madama Butterfly, a tragic East-meets-West, East-loses-West story that borrows heavily from the plot of Miss Saigon. Kristine Opolais, Maria Zifchak, Roberto Alagna and Dwayne Croft star in this 2016 performance, conducted by Karel Mark Chichon. Metropolitan Opera: Madama Butterfly.
- The Bronx Zoo and New York Aquarium launch daily livestreams of their adorable animals. What will you see? Sea lions gliding around the Bronx Zoo’s sea lion pool (feedings are at 11am and 3pm), penguins waddling to and fro (feedings are at 12:30 and 3:30pm) and jumping lemurs in its Madagascar! exhibit. On the ocean side of things, the New York Aquarium will show off the sea turtles and sharks in its Ocean Wonders exhibit as well as the octopus family and jellies in its Spineless area. Both can be accessed at bronxzoo.org from 10am to 4pm daily.
- Interested in knowing more about our Virtual Classes and Socials for Seniors? Two classes daily, five days a week, 45 hours a month of activities. Paid and free subscriptions available. Check out our subscription service!
- Mail me if you’re interested in a week free trial!
and of course, thank you.
Thank you for looking after our friends and family members when we can’t. You rock!
If you want more ideas feel free to go back into the Good Things Archives Here.
Art Your Service,
Was this passed on to you? Don’t miss the next one and sign up for the newsletter here.
Know someone who could use this post? Pass the goodness on!